The war in Tianve

For all discussion directly related to ARC's in-game minor faction
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

The war in Tianve

Postby Dayrth » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:27 am

ARC is at war for the first time. A call has gone out to all ARC members and any one who wants to lend support. If you are going to Tianve take plenty of screenshots and post them and your tails of the battlefield here.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Re: The war in Tianve

Postby Sealurk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:37 pm

At least four commanders on this board winged up tonight to fight in the Tianve Conflict Zones on behalf of ARC. Last I saw our faction is on 16%, which is a great step up from where it was! Every time one of us needed to head to the extremely convenient station (1 light second! I love it when it's that convenient!) to repair, restock, refuel etc. we checked the bulletin board for ARC missions in the hope of finding some that would make the CZ kills more useful, but none appeared. It's possible that missions only get handed out during Civil War, rather than War.

On this topic, a slightly awkward question: have Conflict Zones been fixed? In other words, do kills made their actually affect faction standing/influence now? It's been some time since I've gone into one with the intention of advancing an Alliance faction so I don't know if FD have finally corrected the problem with combat bonds being worthless to faction standing without an associated mission.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 am

I remember last week when we were fighting in Tionisla, I checked the day after and there was no change in the standings. I was meaning to see if I had the same problem as Dayrth, to see if the bounties I cashed in were paid. I forgot to watch if my bank balance went up. If the kills aren't registered to make a payment, maybe they're not registered to make a difference to the battle statistics either.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am

This is what I was flying (The Endeavour):

Endeavour.jpg
Endeavour.jpg (108.57 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

With the power plant upgrade the FDL is now an awesome combat ship.

I tried out Franks wing tactics in the CZ and have to say (once I manage to stop running in to my wing mates), it was very effective. I managed to stay targeted on Sealurk's targets most of the time only occasionally having to brake off when attacked by someone else.
battle.jpg
battle.jpg (182.71 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

battle2.jpg
battle2.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

with fire concentrated on one target at a time, they pop quite quickly At one stage the enemy stopped spawning at the CZ. It took about a minute to completely clear the area of enemy.

pop1.jpg
pop1.jpg (195.56 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

pop2.jpg
pop2.jpg (208.1 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Aaargh! No! Nononononononono!!! In the absence of ARC missions went into the Tianve HI CZ, spent a while there, eventually a few Pythons ganged up on me and I barely escaped with 15% hull, no canopy and no shields... except I don't know if I did, because with 9:34 on the oxygen clock the game got stuck in the supercruise transition animation and eventually dumped me thanks to a transaction server problem!
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 pm

All sorts of server problems tonight apparently. With the pp update in the morning as well your best bet is to leave trying it again until tomorrow evening. You should be OK though. Oxygen doesn't deplete when you are off line.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:24 am

Back in Tianve yesterday. Met up with Luftal and we went and stirred things up in the CZ. Still no combat missions at all and to start with no missions what so ever for ARC :( Luftal had a break and I did then manage to find a couple of courier missions for ARC. I went off and did them. By the time I got back Luftal was back in system and Frank had arrived. No new missions so we teamed up and back to the CZ.

All went well, even though I could not stay around for long. I was again using Franks tactics of going for his target. Again this worked well and now I have had a bit of practice I managed to collide with him only once (sorry about that Frank). I had to break off a couple of times to deal with an enemy on my six and once was driven of completely and had to go for repairs, but most of the time we were all on the same target and they were disappearing fast.

I thought the mix of ships we had was good. Frank in a Python, me in a Fer de Lance and Luftal in a Vulture. We had a good mix of weapons too. Luftal using class 3 pulse lasers. Me with 2 x class 2 pulse lasers, 1 x class 3 beam and 2 x class 2 rail guns. (Those rail guns are devastating once the enemies shields are down, but they do run out of ammo fast), and I believe Frank had a mix of lasers and multi-cannon.

I have discovered that I need to rebind some of my targeting controls. Even with an X52 pro and an extra keypad, I am running out of buttons :shock:

A good time was had by all I think, and very educational :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:44 am

The good news: just logged in, found I currently have a canopy, healthier (and fully functional) modules and 30% more hull than I did last night, so no need to rush to the station (went anyway, to repair damage and look for missions). Presumably the server bug wiped out a few minutes of combat, resetting me to before my FAS got swiss cheesed.

The bad news: The bug also wiped out a lot of the bonds I was carrying, but I suppose I can live with that given the alternative. Also, the only ARC missions currently available are charity ones, and they work against faction influence.

I'll try to keep checking the missions throughout the day, but I am considering heading back to Zaonce to hop into my Asp so I'm better equipped for haulage and courier missions. I may buy a disposable ship for this trip so I can leave the FAS at Tianve and alternate between CZs and missions. I've also just realised I forgot to check faction influence. Last I saw it we were at 17%.

----

I also want to talk about The ARC Paradox. Apart from sounding like a Eighties science fiction novel or an episode of The Big Bang Theory, it is my name for the fact that ARC, as an in-game minor faction, is an Alliance-aligned Cooperative... the problem being that the Alliance doesn't much like cooperatives due to the expansions and fortification penalties, as I understand it. This bugs the ever-living £#%! out of me because by rights, the Alliance should in fact be stronger with cooperatives than corporates if the game mechanics followed the game lore. Instead the Alliance has been set up as something that doesn't support FD's own lore, but then we all know FD isn't overly interested in giving the Alliance anything. It's a rare day when we even get a story in GalNet, and anybody waiting for ships and ranks is going to be waiting a very long time.

Anyway, back to the point. In fact, I think Dayrth has raised many of these points before.

What this means is that while we may see ARC expand, eventually other Alliance player groups are likely to try and topple us in favour of corporate factions. This puts us in an unenviable situation, so where does that leave us? Can we, for example request the in-game faction be changed? Probably not. Is the Alliance likely to be tweaked so it is at least neutral to cooperatives? Ha, no chance - the Alliance gets zero attention from FD. Should we instead try to direct ARC's expansion? Difficult with the number of members we have active at any given time, but perhaps not impossible with enough of a push.

Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions? One ever so slightly out there idea (gross understatement mode: disabled) I had was this - we set to work trying to create a new Alliance power, one who DOES support cooperatives and military actions. Not everybody's happy with Mahon, after all, but for the moment a lot of his strength likely comes from the fact that he is the sole Alliance power. Obviously this is a huge undertaking that ARC could never hope to achieve on its own, but through discussions and treaties with other player groups we might be able to manufacture a new Alliance character and have FD create it as a new power, or else set up a whole new player group with this intention and ask FD to merge the existing player groups such as ARC into it. I know it's silly, but hey, long term goals right?
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:39 pm

The ARC paradox, (I like that :))

I think we just keep expanding wherever we can, but not try to push ARC to the controlling faction in any Alliance system. We don't have to be in control to go in to expansion. We are quite close to independent space on one side and Federation space on the other. It should not be long before we expand in to one of these. Then we can push for control.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Sounds good Dayrth, hadn't thought of that. In fact, it might be worth us making that a part of our declaration of intent - though we will of course push our faction we will not attempt to topple any corporate goverment as this may hurt the Alliance.

That was a DAMN fun evening. The new wing SOP seems to work reasonably well, needs a bit of tweaking perhaps and we all need to work out how to stop flying into each other's sights and simply into each other. I know I'm just as guilty (the thrusters on my FAS seriously need upgrading, they can't match the acceleration of you three - I'm boosting across the CZ to take on the latest target and by the time I get there you're all heading elsewhere!).

Incidentally, I decided to go back and collect my Asp to do some missions in Tianve but wanted to leave my FAS there for more combat, so I picked up a Hauler, A-rated it and stripped out the shields, cargo racks and laser... holy crap can that thing move! It is so much fun, and it ended up with a 26+ ly range that beat even my Asp!

Return to “ARC Minor Faction”