Wing Training - General Discussion

ARC's regular wing training sessions are discussed here.
Xakaz
Cobra

Re: Wing Training

Postby Xakaz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 am

I can't participate this week.
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Re: Wing Training (I Bring Friends)

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Fighting the capital ship is going to be tricky. We need a good retreat strategy. I'm not sure if this will work buy my suggestion is that one of us pays close attention to everyone's shields and we all retreat together when just the one of us is in trouble. This means we all nav-lock one person and we all ensure we keep his nav-lock marker blue. Hopefully this will mean that when our lookout retreats to supercruise he'll yank us all out with him.

We can use trial and error to judge the best time to go, but I reckon it's when one of us is down to our last ring of shield. If the lookout sees the fighter recover his shields with an SCB he might still be able to cancel the supercruise countdown.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:40 pm

I will try and get hold of 3 large plasma accelerators this evening, unless anyone has a better idea for getting through it's shields. I assume we will all pick one subsystem to target. I believe if we cause enough damage to a subsystem the ship will retreat, but I am only basing this on hearsay.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm only going to be in a Vulture so I'll be primarily making hit and run attacks and keeping combatants off your backs. In theory.

Also don't you have to target the radiators or something, or was that a very early version of the game? Anyway, we'll find out. I'm going to wrap things up in Zaonce then head to the system (Vulture's pathetic jump range means I need a head start). I'll be in the Sanctuary1952 group unless you guys want to try Open, and I'll hopefully see you online later.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:42 pm

We all target the same ship and we all target the same subsystem within that ship. I know that Power Plant executions have been nerfed but I think it's the one we should all pick. There's only one of them per ship and so we know we are all concentrating on the same spot.

We may have scared off that Capital Ship in Lenore what of all our talk of gunning for them <grin>, but it sounds like there are plenty of targets close to home. I'll see you all later. Private Group is fine for me, Sanctuary1952.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:28 pm

What did you think of the retreat strategy? I wasn't too sure if it was working well enough. We weren't close enough to get everyone to escape as a unit, but did it provide a quicker escape than you'd have normally had?

I do realise that I was one of the main culprits for wandering off, buy that's the reason why were are practising working as a wing. I'm hoping to improve.
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:52 pm

So, two Pythons and a Vulture fly into a High Intensity Conflict Zone. There's a Farragut cruiser there and they decide to wing up and take it on for a local faction. It doesn't go well and a few minutes later they've all limped into the the nearby station to lick their wounds. A representative of the faction comes to visit each of them at their respective landing pad and says to each pilot, "We really appreciate what you tried to do for us today, and we know it was difficult, but we've got the funds to give you a bonus for your efforts, and we've got a bit of a tradition here. You can measure between two targetable subsystems on your ship and for every millimetre between them we'll give you a credit."

When he visits the first Python pilot, the pilot studies his battered ship and says promptly "From the forward large hardpoint to the cargo hatch". The representative nods, measures and says "Very good, that's about sixty-eight metres so we'll call that 68,000 Credits".

The second Python pilot studies his badly damaged ship and says "From the forward large hardpoint to the thrusters". The representative nodds, measures and says "Even better, that's about eighty metres so you get 80,000 Credits".

The Vulture pilot looks at his brutally wrecked ship then says confidently "From one shield booster to the other". The representative blinks uncertainly, considers pointing out that the subsystems are close together, measures anyway... and pauses before turning to the pilot. "Uh, son, you don't seem to have a second shield booster. Where is it?"

The Vulture pilot points out of the station entrance and says "About thirty light seconds that way sir."
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 am

^^ :D

I think I left bits of my ship floating about in the CZ too.

I do like the retreat strategy in theory, but I am just not organised enough to make it work. Seconds after joining combat I loose sight of where every one is :(

We only made small dents in that cruiser, but we did make dents. He lost at least on subsystem too. I think Sealurk definitely needs something with bigger shields though. The Vulture is very nippy, but with that much fire you can't dodge everything.

I am away for the for the first part of next week, but if he's still there next Thursday, I would like to give that another go.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 pm

There's certainly a "baptism by fire" element to going after a capital ship. I do want to practice staying together as a cohesive unit. Being able to do this while so much is happening around us is bound to help the effectiveness of the lessons <grin>

On saying that, I'd also be happy to go after a few gentler targets as an introduction to our methodology:-

All stay together and all pull out as a unit regardless of how close the target is to death (that's the hardest bit)
All target the same ship and the same subsystem in that ship

If we are going to give the lookout strategy another go, it would be best to give the job to Sealurk if he's still in a ship with the weakest shields, just as in the same way it's best to get everyone following the ship that flies at the slowest speed.
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:53 am

I can't believe I'm only now finding this out but Zaonce has a high res (and several others, though sadly no hazardous ones) around the fourth planet. I've raked in several million in bounties in an astonishingly short space of time, I only had to leave because I clipped a friendly Python with a pulse laser and I was already on 69% hull with a critical canopy. The downside is its a bit of a flight back to Ridley Scott, but actually quicker to jump out of the system if you're in dire need of a station.

I was going to suggest, if we get back into the idea of doing Wing Training, or even just something ARC related every Thursday, we could do worse than head into the RES en masse and slaughter everything in sight... provided it fails a K-scan of course. It would be great combat experience as well as wing experience and makes us each a tonne of money at the same time - that Python I'm after is getting closer with every day - plus there are so many targets, all high value ones like Condas, Pythons, Dropships, FDLs and Vultures, that with a full wing nobody would be left out.

Return to “Wing Training”