Ship Names

Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: Ship Names

Postby Dayrth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:52 am

For anyone who is interested

Mary Seacole: Hero of the Light Division. As a member of the Light Division for 7 years (in my younger days) I was well acquainted with Mary and the good work she did looking after the soldiers in the Crimea. Florence Nightingale got all the credit, despite causing more deaths than she saved lives. It was her that first interested me in important but forgotten figures in history.

Ada Lovelace: Daughter to Lord Byron (yes that one). An accomplished mathematician she devised programmes for Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine. She is considered to be the world’s first computer programmer, so is dear to my heart as that is my profession.

Thomas Newcomen: Born in 1664, a year before the grate plague and two before the great fire of London, he invented the steam engine. Built his first ‘atmospheric steam engine’ in 1712. Watt, who wasn't even born until 1736, got all the credit just for making a more efficient copy of Newcomen’s engine.

Robert Fitzroy: He was an officer in the Royal Navy and a scientist. He was the captain of HMS Beagle when it took Charles Darwin to the Galapagos. He Studied the weather (very important to a navy that relied on wind power), and founded the meteorological office. Not only did he produce the first weather forecasts that were anything like accurate, but he even invented the term ‘weather forecast’.

The battle of Stamford Bridge: A Danish king called Harold Hardrada invaded England (landing in Yorkshire), in 1066. He was in league with the Harold Godwinson’s (the Saxon king of England), brother Tostig. Harold Godwinson force marched his army 185 miles to face both the Danish army and the army lead by his brother. It’s an amazing tail and I encourage anyone to read about it, but long story short, the battle started at Stamford Bridge, but ran on for some time and the Danes were perused all the way to the sea. Despite facing two opposing armies and the Danes being reinforced in the later stages of the battle, Harold Godwinson won and Hardrada and Tostig were killed. The Danes had arrived in more than 300 ships, but after the battle there were only enough of them left to man 24, which escaped to Orkney. Three days after the battle William of Normandy invaded on the south coast and Harold had to force march his weary army all the way back to face him. That didn't go so well.

Battle of Ellandun: Fought between Egbert of Wessex and Beornwulf of Mercia in 825. Egbert won this one and toppled Mercia from its place as the dominating power in Engalnd. After this Wessex became the major power. This turned out to be significant because in 868 the Vikings were pushing down from the North and it looked very much as though they would overrun the whole country but the then king of Wessex, Alfred, drove the Vikings back and eventually defeated them in 896.

Epiphany Rising: This was a rebellion against Henry Bolingbrook, who had seized the throne to become Henry IV of England. He was not a significant king and the uprising didn't really achieve much, but… Henry managed to put down the revolt and that established him on the throne. The rest of his reign was troubled by plots, rebellions and assassination attempts but none seriously threatened his position. If he had not managed to hold on to power then his son, Henry V would not have come to power. He turned out to be one of England’s greatest heroes.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Postby Frank » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Did you watch the TV show about her life? I was amazed that her fame had all but died away, and that it took Alan Turing rediscovering her writings to get her back into the public eye. I'd have thought being Byron's daughter would have been enough notoriety.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Frank wrote:Did you watch the TV show about her life? I was amazed that her fame had all but died away, and that it took Alan Turing rediscovering her writings to get her back into the public eye. I'd have thought being Byron's daughter would have been enough notoriety.

She was a woman pretending to be a mathematician. Can't be having that in 19th century Britain :p
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Dayrth wrote:She was a woman pretending to be a mathematician. Can't be having that in 19th century Britain :p

Sadly, things haven't changed quite as much as we might hope now we're in 21st century Britain, though at least things are changing - however slowly that might be.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.

Return to “Ships & Loadouts”