Are We Going to Have Our Own TeamSpeak Channel?

A place for other player groups to contact us so we can coordinate efforts, forge allegiances and unite for the Alliance.
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Re: Are We Going to Have Our Own TeamSpeak Channel?

Postby Sealurk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:56 pm

No objection here, I think renting a server is a slightly better idea until we're used to it and have sufficient numbers to justify getting our own dedicated server. Dayrth, if you want to test the TS server before Thursday let me know, I should be able to get in game more or less whenever needed.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:57 pm

I know this may sound a little less polished than what you had in mind, but wouldn't it be better to just use the Lave Radio servers? It would be less effort to set up, and it might also increase our visibility a little as well. We could even ask Lave Radio to name a room for us, in exchange for our services.

We could always set up our own later.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:33 pm

I was able to rent a server for 1 month. As it only cost £1.80 I just went ahead and did it. If it doesn't work out then I haven't lost much :)
I'll get it set up and tested then post connection details.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:23 am

Sealurk and I managed to get the Teamspeak server running yesterday. One oddity worth noting though. If you use an Android client it will echo back everything said on PC clients, so if you do use android please use push to talk to avoid this.

Connection details are...
add: ts3.alpha-networks.co.uk:10073
pw: arccom

I set up a separate channel for wing training (not because we needed one but just to try out separate channels). The password for that is: wt
If you want other channels let me know. We are limited to 10 at the moment, but that can easily be extended if necessary.

The server is on line permanently so feel free to use it any time. Hope to 'hear' from you guys on Thursday if not before :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Dayrth, Dai (Smugglyquick) and I have been testing Teamspeak and fiddling with settings. For those who aren't familiar, make sure you adjust your Capture settings using the Begin Test button and moving the slider so that when you say the test phrase the slider represents the highest point.

It may still require a little refinement, but even if you're not in game, if you get a chance to test it out jump in so we can get everybody's settings adjusted - this means we're not spending ages fiddling with Teamspeak on Thursday when we should be doing Wing Training - which, by the way, we still haven't fully decided what we're doing so remember to head to the Wing Training thread and put your votes in for your preferred activities.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:57 am

Getting the Teamspeak client set up properly turned out to be quite a fiddly business. Especially trying to eliminate echo back to others. After much experimentation with Sealurk and Smugglyquick I now have mine working perfectly. In case it is of help to others, here are my settings:

Settings > Options >
Application: Reconnect server when system resumes a standby - on
Use middle mouse button shortcuts in tree - on (this one doesn't really matter)
Warn when talking while microphone is muted - on (This is very handy :))
Subscribe to all channels - on

All other options off

Language - System Default
Update Channel - Stable

Design: Downloads: Security: These settings are not important for performance, I just left them as default.

Playback: Playback Mode - Direct Sound
Playback Device - Default (This may be different for your setup)
Voice and Soundpack Volumes - Wherever you want, but I found the default soundpack setting a bit loud so set it the same as voice.
Mono to Stereo - on

All other options off

Capture: Capture Mode - Direct Sound
Capture Device - Default (Again may be different for you)
Voice Activation Detection - on (See note about android devices and echo below)
Echo Reduction and Echo Cancellation - Both on if you are not using headphones.
Remove Backgroud Noise - on
Automatic Voice Gain Control - on
Delay Releasing Push-To-Talk - on 0.3 secs (only matters if you are using push to talk)
Echo Reduction Reduces Playback by - 10 db

All other options off

If you are using voice activation, run the test and adjust it so that when you speak the sound bar goes just passed the slider.
Mine is set to about -5 but this is likely to be different for everyone.

Whisper: Settings should not affect performance.

Hotkeys: If you are playing with some joysticks then the drivers can interfere with the Teamspeak client,
which will pick up button presses as hotkeys and echo them back, causing some commands to execute twice.
To stop this from happening change the option under Hotkeys from Default to Keyboard and Mouse Only.

Messages and Notifications: Settings should not affect performance.

NOTES:
Overwolf - When I installed the client it gave me the option of installing Overwolf, which I did. I then had to uninstall everything and reinstall the client without Overwolf. Overwolf did not work on my system and stopped the Teamspeak client from working as well. I would suggest not using it.

Android devices and echo - If you are connecting using an Android device please use push to talk. If you use voice activation everything any PC user says will be echoed back to them. This is a known issue with the Android client. Push to talk is also an option if you are using the PC client, but still cause bad echo to others.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:18 am

The teamspeak server went down for a couple of days. I did not find out until last night and I have not corrected it. If anyone notices a problem please contact me or post on this forum so I can get it sorted quickly.

Having said that... I have been looking in to Discord. This does seem like a better system. It has more options, like setting up different permissions in groups and easier switching between groups. This could be useful when running multiple wings. I think it would be better for us to swap to Discord, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please let me know.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Discord

Postby Dayrth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:36 pm

We now have a Discord server to try out. From an admin point of view at least this seems like a better service than Teamspeak. We can try this out and see if it works OK. The link is:
https://discord.gg/0puspoILXSloqmtp

The Teamspeak server is still in place at the moment until we decide which we like best.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 am

Unfortunately the company that is hosting our teamspeak server is shutting down. It will remain active for a couple of weeks yet. I have no plans to find a replacement for it as we have an active Discord server. but if you guys would prefer teamspeak, let me know.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Dam! Teamspeak shut down early. Here is the new Discord invite https://discord.gg/0puspoILXSmsvXQZ
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Communications Room”