Undermining Tips

sanctuary1952
Vulture
Ships Owned: Vera my Vulture

Undermining Tips

Postby sanctuary1952 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Undermining Tips

1. You need an FSD Interdictor .. the higher class the better. On my Vulture I have a Class A4

2. If you haven't interdicted before, go and practice on ncp's in Solo.

3. When you arrive at the system where the undermining mission is located, just set your speed to 50%, in the blue zone and keep the planets in full view and wait.
Ships will appear and just scan them to see if they are the target you are looking for....eg. Fed Agent...Fed Aid...Torval Broker..Aisling Angel etc.
Your target will often appear at the main star, fuel scooping.
If you find you have scanned quite a few ships and not yet found a suitable target you can always check your left hand screen and look in 'Contacts'.
Personally, I get impatient when there are a lot of ships but not the ones I am looking for..when that happens, and when flying Solo or if I am the only player in the Open Play, I drop my supercruise speed to the lowest ( 30kms) and jump out of Supercruise and then jump back in to change the instance. FSD Cooldown is very quick.

4. If you haven't got an interdictor higher than Class A4 then don't bother with T9's or Condas ... you'll almost certainly fail and waste time because you will have to wait a while for FSD cooldown.
Even Orcas can be tough.
You will also encounter Wings of 2 and 3 ships. ;)

5. When you encounter and interdict a Wing of 3... my experience has shown me that often the first ship visible (the one you've successfully interdicted) flys off and the instinct is to target and go chasing it.
Sometimes this is ok but often you will be chasing this ship and the other two ships in the Wing appear and attack you from behind.
I always target the first visible Wing ship but do not chase... I wait for the other ship/s to appear and they are inevitably nearer and I target and attack one of them first.

6. The system Security forces will arrive on the scene a few minutes after your interdiction and after you have eliminated the ship /s ... never a problem unless you have been taking too long to finish off a Wing of 3...If you are still trying to take out ships and the Security forces appear... be ready to give up the chase and get the hell out of there!
Remember to retract your weapons, un-target the ship you were hoping to kill and FSD out!!!

7. YOU MUST BRING CHAFF!!! Particularly when fighting a 3 ship Wing!!! I carry 2 lots of chaff..when 1 is recharging...the other is available. Works a treat.

8. Regarding pips to System/Engine/Weapons when interdicting ...This is really a personal thing and others will have a different take...this is mine:
IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I have 2 pips to system and 4 to weapons.... my Engine column is FULL ready for a boost should I need it.

Sometimes after interdicting and firing on the targetted ship they will try to FSD out .. Cobras seem particularly prone to this ...so be ready to use your boost AND put some pips into Engine to give chase.... but remember to fill up your engine column before returning to the System for more interdicting.

9. When in supercruise andchasing a ship to interdict sometimes they are moving out of range and moving away.....simple....4 pips to Engine and full power...most times I eventually catch them.

10. Before beginning the mission..check around the Galaxy map at other Systems in the area . Advisable to look for a 'safe' system or station close by where you can lick your wounds...repair your damage and refuel and re-arm. In the undermining mission some of us had at Haroingori we were very lucky to have an Anarchy system ( Asgara) with a decent station ..good that it was an Anarchy system because interdicting puts a bounty on your head and Anarchy systems are great for not attacking you for this.

11. Interdicting degrades your ship modules! The longer you take to interdict ships the sooner your ship degrades. You will at some point recieve the message, "Canopy Compromised".
Don't panic...it's just a mild cracking at the seams ;) .. but it's time to leave the arena and get repaired.
I have interdicted 30+ ships in one session with no problem...I have also interdicted just 10 ships and had my Canopy 'problems' due to a close call with a planet etc.. Whenever it happens...get out and get repaired.

12. When targetting a ship in a wing when in supercruise you must try to target the other ships before interdicting to find out what ships are in the Wing, to avoid nasty surprises.
eg. You target a ship and it's a Sidey in a 3 ship wing.... you interdict and discover that one of the other ships in the wing is a Conda!! :o

13. When you interdict a Wing and have targetted all ships in the wing.... normally you should interdict the stongest.
I targetted a Wing with a Python and 2 Eagles. I interdicted the Python, targetted it's Power Plant, and 'chaffed' the annoying Eagles until I was ready to deal with them.
Far better than interdicting an Eagle and having a Python on your back!!
The other alternative is, if you prefer, to interdict the 'weakest' ship (if the wing contains a Python or Conda and you are concerned about surviving) ... and set you mind to destroying it and FSD'ing out once that is accomplished, forgetting the others.
If you encounter a 3 ship Wing with 2 Sideys and a Hauler..destroy the Sideys first...leave the Hauler to last.. If you take out the Hauler and one of the Sideys, very oftenthe other Sidey will FSD out.
I have found Cobras to be the most prone to running away... no idea why, so finish them off asap and don't let them get to far out of range.

14. Regarding speed when in supercruise and looking for targets.... all you need to do is make sure your speed is faster than the targets' at the time of interdiction. Usually, 50 % ( in the blue zone) is sufficient.
If I've had to increase speed to catch a target I always return speed to the 50% blue zone whilst interdiction is taking place...I don't know if my ship has more manoeuverability..but it seems to work.

15. As always...ships the size of the Diamondback / Asp / Cobra and upwards....once interdicted...target Power Plant! No need to do so for Eagle,Viper or Sidey.

16. When doing PP undermining, remember that the important thing is to bring your 'kill points' back safely to the control system ... that's the purpose..to help the Alliance.
It serves no purpose to take unneccesary risks... You see a 3 ship Wing of 2 Cobras and a Conda?....an FDl and 2 Vultures?... reduce speed....drop out of supercruise and jump back in to change the instance.
You get no medals or PP merits for thinking you can take on such Wings.... you get, at best, a beating and at worst... more likely the rebuy screen and all PP points lost as well.
************************************************************************************************************************

I may well add to this and others will have advice as well, I'm sure. But these are basic tips which come from experience.
Of course the ship you fly will change some aspects but most of these tips will apply. Fly Safe ;)
Last edited by sanctuary1952 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
EAGLE 5
Sidewinder
Ships Owned: Cobra Mk.III - A.S.V. Liberty
Asp Explorer - A.S.V. Lone Star
Viper Mk.III - A.S.V. Venom
Eagle LRF - A.S.V. Raptor
Sidewinder - A.S.V. Swifjack

Re: Undermining Tips

Postby EAGLE 5 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:19 pm

I like to position myself between a main planet with a traveled space station and the system's nav becon. Head toward the star and you'll be able to catch incoming enemy ships as they make their way toward their destination. Move away at about 45 degrees from their path and arc back toward their intended trajectory (the station) and you'll have a clear shot for your FSD interdictor to make contact . Timing is important if you have a weaker FSD with limited range. So as sanctuary pointed out get some practice, npcs at anarchy systems are great because you won't get with a fine for practicing.

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Hardly an expert, but here are a few things I've found regarding interdiction and undermining. Many of these may be painfully obvious to everybody but me:

With the FSD interdictor as your fire group, the moment you hit SC deploy your hardpoints. It can save precious seconds later.

It seems that the hull damage you take is roughly proportional to how much time you spend in interdiction, or at least how violently your ship has to turn. In the interdiction stage try to make very small adjustments and you'll find you keep the target in the reticle for much longer and make the interdiction much shorter. I suspect that comparative ship mass might also play a role as I've found Type 9s and Orcas much harder to interdict than Sidewinders, Haulers and Adders - for context, I fly a Vulture for undermining.

Remember that you must be moving faster than the target to interdict them - it's so simple yet it took me ages to realise this. Consequently, if you spot a target pointing towards you try not to slam on the brakes as they pass, reorient and then speed after them as more often than not they will speed away and you will end up having to tail them across the system until they eventually decelerate, which will leave you wide open to people trying to interdict you, i.e. the bounty hunters who are after you because of your wanted status and mounting bounty.

Instead, try to gently curve around into their six o' clock and in so doing preserve your velocity. Ideally pitch your ship so that the target is above or below your reticle as you approach to give yourself plenty of room to slot in behind them at high speed.

A hint a friend gave me: although it sounds and potentially is risky, try to only hand in all your merits shortly before the cycle's end. This way the undermining score for that system will suddenly shoot up and there will be little or no time left for the opposing faction to do anything about it. If you play in Open it also means fewer players prowling around that system if they don't think much undermining is underway.

Wing up: unlike bounties, undermining merits are awarded equally rather than divided. In other words, if you and a buddy both land shots on a valid undermining target you both get the full fifteen merits for it when it's destroyed. Additonally having a wingman present makes it less likely that target wing members can flee because you're focusing on the juicier or closer targets.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:01 pm

I don't know it this is one of those "Stating the Obvious" tips, but It's better to say too much and have your words ignored than too little and your advice never heard...

Once you've got a target squirming on your interdictor hook you can change your weapons back to you normal combat layout. This means you're not wasting precious split-seconds better spent targetting your enemy's powerplant.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Frank wrote:I don't know it this is one of those "Stating the Obvious" tips, but It's better to say too much and have your words ignored than too little and your advice never heard...

Once you've got a target squirming on your interdictor hook you can change your weapons back to you normal combat layout. This means you're not wasting precious split-seconds better spent targetting your enemy's powerplant.

No. Not obvious.

At least if it was, I didn't know it. I always waited until I had dropped to change back. Won;t be doing that any more. Thanks :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
sanctuary1952
Vulture

Postby sanctuary1952 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:38 am

12. When targetting a ship in a wing you must try to target the other ships before interdicting, to avoid nasty surprises.
eg. You target a ship and it's a Sidey in a 3 ship wing.... you interdict and discover that one of the other ships in the wing is a Conda!! :o

13. When you interdict a Wing and have targetted all ships in the wing.... interdict the stongest.
I targetted a Wing with a Python and 2 Eagles. I interdicted the Python ( targetting it's Power Plant) and 'chaffed' the annoying Eagles until I was ready to deal with them.
Far better than interdicting an Eagle and having a Python on your back!!
Ok..maybe not a great example for to be honest if you see a hostile wing with a Python and 2 Eagles and you don't have a decent combat ship...best get the hell out!!!
But hopefully you get my point.
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by sanctuary1952 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanctuary1952
Vulture

Postby sanctuary1952 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 am

14. During an interdiction of a Wing you will sometimes notice the 'red diamond' outline of another ship in that wing underneath the 'triple directional triangles' of the targetted ship... you can switch targets during an interdiction.
This evening I interdicted a 3 ship wing...2 Sideys and a T6. I targetted one of the Sideys ( easier than interdicting a T6) and noticed that the Sidey I had targetted was 'Elite' and they can be difficult to interdict. Saw a diamond of one of the other ships and hit 'T' ...it was the other Sidey and was only 'Competent'. The interdiction went a lot smoother from then on!. ;)

15. Don't forget to use Flight Assist (FA) Off when a target is circling you... often targets will fly up from in front of you and go out of sight.. or you approach them too quickly and they climb up out of view...just turn off FA and arc up towards them until they are back in view then turn FA back on again.
Xakaz
Cobra

Postby Xakaz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:17 am

Heard on AEDC forums that ANY PowerPlay NPC kill counts to undermining score in system. For example: killing Federal Agents, Torval Shields or Kumo Crew in ALD control system will give you merits AND counts to undermining score for this system. Seems useful.
sanctuary1952
Vulture

Postby sanctuary1952 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Xakaz wrote:Heard on AEDC forums that ANY PowerPlay NPC kill counts to undermining score in system. For example: killing Federal Agents, Torval Shields or Kumo Crew in ALD control system will give you merits AND counts to undermining score for this system. Seems useful.

Apparently this is correct ;)
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:04 pm

It is correct at the moment, but is an acknowledged bug. Expect it to be corrected at some point.
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “Tactics & Strategies”