3D printer

So you're done with flying for the time being and you want to unwind. For general chatter and to discuss non-Elite subjects, this is the place.
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Re: 3D printer

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 am

If I ever get a 3D printer I'm buying it over a counter, and the only thing I have to do is unwrap it and stick in on my desk <grin>

What sort of power does it consume?
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 am

IT'S ALIVE!

It's taken two weeks but the printer is working and can actually print stuff :D

Now, how do I get those ship models out of Elite?

Turns out there are 2 main types of firmware/software used for Arduino based printers. Marlin and Repetier. As per the manual for my printer, I went for the Marlin firmware and 3rd party print software. I could not get one to work with the other. Eventually I decided to take a look at the Repetier print software, resigning myself to having to start over with the firmware if necessary. Turns out though that Repetier is quite capable of slicing models that will work not only with my hardware, but with the Marlin firmware as well. I was overjoyed.

Just did a quick test print last night. I am going to have to do some fine setup on the printer and adjust the filament feed, but nothing major. Basically the project is finished and a success. :D
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:26 am

Wen off to Fighter Club on Wednesday https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/301466-Fighter-Club-the-fighting-club-for-every-skill-level?highlight=fighter+club, so no work on the printer. Got back to it last night with the intention of fine tuning, but it seems my optimism of Tuesday was actually gross overconfidence.

After a few minutes of mucking about the printer stopped responding. Checking the display I saw I had a temperature error. Not the min temp error of before but the temperature was falling. It soon got to room temperature and refused to heat at all. With a heavy heart I started checking various components, wondering how much extra this was going to cost me. I knew if it was the Arduino then it would be about £25 to replace which is not too bad. The board was OK though. Next check the connections to the heating cartridge. They were fine, which was a shame because that would have cost me nothing. Before dismantling the print head again I wondered how much replacing the whole thing would cost. I looked it up and was very surprised to find I could get a whole new unit for about £10. Less worried now I started taking it appart. I soon found that the heating cartridge was burned out, and it was very easy to remove. I went back online to find a replacement would cost me less than £2 :D

I ordered 5 just in case. They will arrive over the weekend so I will get back to it on Sunday.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 am

New heater fitted and that particular problem is fixed, but you know what they say. If it's not one thing it's another. Pre heat works fine and the temperature is stable. Start a print and the temp shown on the display is within range and stays reasonably constant, but shortly after the print starts I get a max temp error and it shuts down. :(

Been through all the connections again and all seems OK so tonight I will dive back into the firmware to see what I can see.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:33 am

This time it was a software problem. The max temp was set very near the operating temp. The new heater being a bit beefier than the old one was nudging it over the limit. Printer is operational once again, but the print is very rough. Now for some serious calibration.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:17 am

Still not there :( My first attempts at printing were very crude, as expected before calibration, but once I had carefully measured everything and calculated what I thought were the correct settings the layer height was too thin. This caused the nozzle to collide with the previous layer. I managed to put my back out on Wednesday so did nothing that day, but got back to it last night. I think I managed to sort out the layer height. I can't be 100% sure because it now stops extruding after the first or second layer. A search on line has given me several possible reasons so I will have a go at fixing this latest issue on Monday (bit of a long weekend so wont be back until then).

Edit: Spent some time today trawling the interweb to see if there was an easy answer to the problem, but I find that it could be caused by any one of dozens different things. I have found this to be the case for every problem I have encountered so far. Nothing seems to be straightforward with these things.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:20 am

Asp.jpg
Asp.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

FIrst complete print without errors.

Still very crude but it is (at last) working.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:16 am

A bit of calibration yesterday and already a vast improvement in print quality. I had a problem with the base layer lifting which caused a bit of a glitch, but tonight I shall experiment with adding a raft to try and stop that happening. All in all I am pleased with the result though.

unspecified.jpg
unspecified.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Alliance blue as well <grin>
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:55 am

Tried a different setup yesterday, added a raft to theprint. I solved the problem of the first layer lifting, but then I had a problem removing the raft from the print. Both times I tried it, part of the raft would break away as it was supposed to but some of it was fused to the piece. Different section each time as well, so I don't think it's down to the bed not being level. I may need to invest in a heated bed. In the meantime I shall play around with temperatures for the first layer.
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Mess”