Tips and tricks

Don't mind the noise, this place almost never experiences decompression. This is where to talk about ships, tactics, settings and loadouts.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: Tips and tricks

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:58 am

I want to avoid using push to talk if I can. I don’t really have enough buttons as it is and don’t want to take my hands off the controls if I need to say something.
I would also like to keep the audio feedback from VoiceAttack. I find it useful to confirm the settings I have selected without having to look and let me know when some of the more complex macros have finished running.
I will keep looking for a solution, but in the meantime I will leave it set up as is. If hearing my VA feedback bothers anyone, please let me know and I will switch it off.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Setting up Voice Attack for use with Teamspeak

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:12 am

I cut the quindar tones out of a NASA recording of a test message during the Apollo missions. I have posted them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76ysvv94djwhn ... n.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wip282rdizqvy ... t.wav?dl=0

I set up the Voice Attack macros as follows:

Press down <your push to talk key>
Play sound C:\...\QindarIn.wav
Pause <enough to talk> seconds
Play sound C:\...\QindarOut.wav (Wait until completes)
Release <your push to talk key>

I have 4 macros set to run for different times depending on what I want to say. I trigger them by voice commands 'Copy one', 'Copy two' etc.
Added another macro triggered by 'over' that stops the other 4 and releases the push to talk button. In case I run out of stuff to say :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 am

I have now discovered how to set up the mouse controls on my X52 pro throttle so that the buttons can be mapped to keys. I've only had the X52 for a year and I have almost figured out how to set up the profiles properly :roll: This means I have two extra buttons, so I can use push to talk without the time limits. I did want to keep the quindar tones though, so it still needed to go through Voice Attack. Getting that to work as I wanted proved to be a fiddly business.

First you need a button to talk and a second button to stop talking. I had just gained left and right mouse buttons on my throttle so that was OK. I bound my push to talk key to ALT T, had Voice Attack press and hold ALT T on the Talk button and release it on the End button. This did not work. As soon as the Talk macro ended (about 1 second run time), it released the key :| So I set a pause (90 seconds seemed long enough) and then had the end key cancel the talk command as well as release the key. This worked sometimes but after one or two uses either the T key or ALT key would not be freed up by the stopped macro and would not respond when it was run again. I had to include a press and release of each individually at the start to make sure they were reset. This worked so here is the final setup (Note that CTRL ALT P and CTRL ALT O are the keys I have bound my throttle buttons to):

talk.PNG
talk.PNG (16.55 KiB) Viewed 767 times

end.PNG
end.PNG (13.51 KiB) Viewed 767 times

I've not tried these out with anyone yet, but it sounds good from my end. :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Hangar”