ARC's Future

The place for all general ARC and Elite: Dangerous discussion
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Re: ARC's Future

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:01 am

I am available anytime after 6:00 during the week but I can't guarantee weekends. Stock Sidewinders sounds okay because they cost nothing to replace if an accident happens and a ship blows up. I wish CQC Arena was better and we could set it up for training <sigh> Is there any real negative to fighting to the bitter end? If they are stock sidewinders then they cost nothing to replace and so the trainees won't lose any money provided they've cashed in all their chits.

So I'm in, and I'm happy for you to announce it publicly any time you feel comfortable. You might want to bash out exactly how we'd pit the students against each other on this thread beforehand. There nothing less professional than getting a bunch of students mulling around together and asking them what they want to do. If we have a definite plan to start with we can change it as we go along.

So here's how I think it should work...

We start a thread in the newcomer's forum called "ARC's Stock Sidewinder Ladder"
the last post in the thread is a list of all the commanders in order of wins
any challenger can pick any commander that's on the list. If they wins he goes above them on the list, otherwise the bottom
the duals must be in stock Sidewinders. The fight continues until a submission... or an explosion
There is no penalty for someone blows up the opponent's ship. These things happen, and they are stock Sidewinders.
We PM anyone continually missing from fighter club and give them 3 week's grace before removing them from the ladder.

Are we the only two members of ARC left?.. Sealurk? Are you still here?
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 am

The only disadvantage with free Sidies is if you choose one after getting blown up you are taken back to the starter system.

I like the plan :) I don't think it's worth doing anything until after 2.2 release or no one will notice. After 2.2 release we should have CQC assets in game so we could base training around a CQC arena (if we can find one).

When we go for this I am intending to start a thread in the Dangerous Groups forum along the lines of the old call to arms thread but just for ARC. That combined with a training thread and some extra content here might help drum up some interest.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:18 pm

It's been a while since I started, and I'm too far away from the Elite Galaxy to check for myself. Where abouts is the starter system? Do different people have different starting points? We could always set fighter club near the starter system if not.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Every one stats in LHS 3447 these days. Deep in Federation territory, and the station is 100,000 ls from the entry point :(
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:19 pm

We could pick someplace a single jump away from LHS 3447. We wanted the training to be politically neutral so the location in the heart of Federation Space3 shouldn't be too much of a concern. The location near the startup system also shows our intentions that it is for beginners.

I'm not sure about branding it as ARC. We don't want to give off any signals that we are trying to get people to make a serious commitment.
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:27 am

Frank wrote:I'm not sure about branding it as ARC. We don't want to give off any signals that we are trying to get people to make a serious commitment.

I think we can make clear that you don't have to commit to ARC to take part, but I do want to promote the fact that ARC are running it in the hope of attracting some new members.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Dayrth wrote:
Frank wrote:I'm not sure about branding it as ARC. We don't want to give off any signals that we are trying to get people to make a serious commitment.

I think we can make clear that you don't have to commit to ARC to take part, but I do want to promote the fact that ARC are running it in the hope of attracting some new members.

What I've got below is what I intend to post onto a new thread to try to drum up support for the club. I've written out how a ladder works just in case there's anyone who has never come across one before. We will need to grab a few people together to spark off the ladder to begin with. I'll wait for you to cast your eye over what I've written, but I think I might be able to get a few of the Drabblers to put their name on the list, although I doubt they would remain there for long.

Have a read. See what you think. If you want to make any changes then just write the whole thing out again. It's easier to see what those changes are when they can be seen as a whole.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Welcome to Fighter Club. This is a club whose primary goal is to allow the newcomers of the game to gain confidence in fighting, but it welcomes all skill levels, all factions, and all professions. There is no commitment required, but if you don't attend for several weeks you may find that your name has been removed from the ladder.

The rules of Fighter Club:-

(1) No reference shall be made to the movie "Fight Club" as it's a crass and obvious joke to make, although I can heartily recommend the movie.

(2) The list of commanders you see above is in order of wins

(3) To join the list you must challenge a commander to a duel. If you beat them you go above them on the list, otherwise you join at the bottom.

(4) Anyone can challenge anyone above them on the list, apart from anyone they have just played

(5) If the challenged commander does not accept the duel within three weeks his name is removed from the list

(6) The fight is won either by one contestant yelling surrender, or by the destruction of their ship

(7) There is a particular time and place to meet up but duels for the ladder can take place any time or place the duellists agree.

(8) The duals are in stock Sidewinders by default, but can take place in any ships or choice of weapons agreed by both parties

(9) The adjudicators and keepers of the list are members of the Alliance Rapid-Reaction Corps. They do not need to be present at every duel but the loser of the duel must be the one to private message an adjudicator to alter the list accordingly.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm glad you're happy with the spiel, Dayrth. As soon as we can establish a time for the Fighter Club to meet I'll go stick it up in the newcomer's forum. I can do any time after 6:00 during the week. The weekends are a little less reliable for me.

This isn't just me and Dayrth. If there are any other ARCs left at all, I'd want to hear their input.

Return to “The Ready Room”