ED News

The place for all general ARC and Elite: Dangerous discussion
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: ED News

Postby Dayrth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:41 am

ED support for Oculus SDK in time for CV1 launch :D

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=237603
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:42 pm

I've been catching up on the educating Ed vids and blocking up some interesting bits and pieces from the forums and came across quite a few hints about 2.1 content. I took copious notes. Then left them on my desk at work.

I will post them on Monday. Sorry :/
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 am

News delayed from Friday:

Some updates to come in 2.1.

The frequency of POIs will diminish the further you get from the bubble. Later (not 2.1 but before the end of the season), new types of POI will be added the will appear only or more frequently in unoccupied space.

The outfitting screen is being revamped. Not sure what the new one will look like, but one addition will be module class information, (rather than just the letter).

A comment by Michael Brooks, 'Life is common in the Elite universe. What is not so common is sentient life, don't know if anyone has found that yet.' - suggests that sentient life is already out there somewhere.

Landing on a planet, driving around in the SRV and finding and collecting materials all increase your exploration rating. Probably common knowledge, but I did not know that.

Sandro mentioned the retribution laser. Apparently in 2.1 it will be buffed to cause more heat buildup in the target and it will work through shields. Don't know if that will make it worth having, but will probably give it a try.

Newsletter tells us that the SRV will leave tracks after 2.1. Of course everyone is now expecting screenshots of giant willy drawings as seen from orbit :D More interestingly in the pic showing the tracks there is a Cobra with an unknown object on a utility mount. Looks like a radar dish. Maybe some new kind of scanner. Of course it may just be new artwork for an existing scanner, but I hope it is for scanning planet surfaces. It does appear to be angled down.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Oculus 1.3 SDK support went in with this mornings server update.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:13 am

I've been waiting for the problem with uploading images on the FD forums to be fixed, but it seems it won't be :(

From Bret:
Sorry guys, not something I wanted to do - but we honestly do not have the database storage for image media. There isn't a readily available alternative built into vbulletin for amazon s3 services and moving all of it from the database into the s3 service.

As it stands right now, the forums are using nearly 40GB of storage.... just for media attachments. Additionally, with the sheer amount of images/media, it has been traced back multiple times to high server loads, long-load/elevated-load times, and the forums throwing out the odd 5xx based errors.

A small prune (removed tiny images not viewed within X days) of image attachments did occur a while back, but it didn't shave off the overlaying issues from above.

In the long run, you're better off using imgur.com. Make an account on there, create a few galleries to upload pictures to. It's much easier than these forums attachment system.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:22 am

[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed May 04, 2016 7:33 am

Beta incoming on Thursday (that's tomorrow :)). Lots of lovely new stuff, a summary of which you can find here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245991

But hidden away in there is a reference to a couple of old issues:

Ram-scans are fixed for 2.1
NPC AI bugs killed (like spinning ships)

:D
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu May 05, 2016 3:41 pm

No wonder 2.1/1.6 took so long. I've never seen patch notes like it :shock:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246284
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri May 20, 2016 5:09 pm

2.1 release date 26/5. AAAAAAARRRRGH! I am going away for a week starting 27th. I will just about have time to do the update on Thursday evening then I'm off. Won't get to play until Sunday 5/6 : / I'm going to book Monday 6th off and have a day of Elite to catch up :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am

Servers are down for 2.1/1.6 update and may be down in to the evening. Zac says could be 10 + hours.
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Ready Room”