What did you do? Elite anecdotes

The place for all general ARC and Elite: Dangerous discussion
Frank
Vulture
Ships Owned: Python

Re: What did you do? Elite anecdotes

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Sealurk, I might as well give you the whole story of what happened to me last night, with pictures and everything..

I was taken aback by this moon. Those are really deep deep valleys, and the promise of 0.3% polonium. How could I resist.

The first thing I did was faceplant into the moon. Not fatally, but enough to get me thinking about Jaques for a fix-up, despite my wanted status. But onto the surface first to find all that lovely polonium.

The scenery is stunning. The tops of the plateaus are red but those deep grooves go down to a yellow. I was following some promising beeps on my scanner, a metallic meteorite. It's exact location didn't exactly register on me. I'm heading towards it, faster and faster. I slam on the brakes... nothing. And then clang! I'm up close and personal with this meteorite. I have a great view of it, by looking down below where it's wedged in my axle. My SRV is stuck on the end of a meteorite atop a very large precipice.

Reversing doesn't do anything, and neither does forward. So I start going left and right and back and forth and boost and every which way. I'm completely stuck. I did think of quitting the game and starting in standard game mode to reset back to above the moon, but this is when I had my cunning plan. Maybe the shock of quitting just to the main menu and restarting would be enough to dislodge me from my predicament. It worked! I am now free of the meteorite, accelerating down the massive steep slope faster and faster with nothing I can do to the buggy to make it slow down. What a rush!

It was one hell of a roller-coaster ride and I wanted to do it again. So I tried to climb the side of the slope to find that the SRV isn't great at really steep inclines. I couldn't get back to the top so I recalled my ship, which decided the best place to land was at the top of the slope that I couldn't get to. I looked at bottom of the valley there was nowhere to land. I tried recalling my ship again.

My big shiny gold Asp must've understood the situation. It came down and hovered as close as it could above me, allowing me to get as close as I could underneath it for me to be lifted back into my ship.

I didn't find any polonium.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 am

Ow :(

Sealurk wrote:...I received a message in my ship's inbox giving me a tip off about a profitable haul from a crashed ship almost 300 light years distant

I've never got one of those messages (or possibly I have but just not seen them). Is there anything I need to do to qualify?

Sealurk wrote:spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the coordinates and ended up on the wrong side of the planet...

Don't know why, but it seems that wherever you are after is ALWAYS on the other side of the planet.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Dayrth wrote:I've never got one of those messages (or possibly I have but just not seen them). Is there anything I need to do to qualify?

I'm not sure, but I've heard rumblings it only happens if you have high reputation with a faction. May just have been coincidence but I spent Saturday and Sunday morning maxing out my ARC rep after it got a bit dented by having to abandon a number of missions and also raising my Alliance rep. I got the tip-off the moment I hit allied again with both.

Dayrth wrote:Don't know why, but it seems that wherever you are after is ALWAYS on the other side of the planet.

Yes, definitely. I hope the new planetary maps coming in 2.2 include coordinates and maybe even navigation markers because it was only when I realised that I had missed a minus sign off one coordinate that I realised I was in completely the wrong place. Had to look up a tutorial on navigation to work out which way to head (for reference in case anybody doesn't know, to increase latitude make your heading 360, to decrease 180. To increase longitude 90, decrease 270, and be prepared to skim orbital cruise to cover the distance more effectively). I swear it took me less time to cover 280 ly to the target planet (twice...) than it did to find the crashed ships.

Speaking of crashed ships, I'm heading out to see the very special crash site in the Pleiades soon. Anybody interested in heading that way? One caveat - not open. That place is going to be teeming with commanders, not all of whom are well-adjusted and civilised, and my Asp is unarmed and weakly shielded.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Frank
Vulture

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 pm

I wish I could have joined you, but I was half a galaxy away, as can be seen from these images

Picture of a Black Hole 1

Picture of a Black Hole 2

Return to “The Ready Room”